The Death of Windows XP and What to Do About It

In April 2014, Microsoft will cease support for Windows XP. This means that all computers running that ancient operating system will be sitting ducks for hackers who find and exploit security holes.

Our home computer runs Windows XP. The entire whirring contraption should have been replaced about 4 years ago, but we're holding on. Now that Microsoft is giving up support for XP, I have been mulling my options.

I could buy a copy of Windows 7 from eBay, assuming my desktop machine can handle it. (I'm guessing that Windows 8.1 is out of the question.) But why buy an OS when you can get one for free? 

Ubuntu, a distribution of Linux, is built for the novice Linux user. It relies heavily on its well designed graphical user interface, and not so much on the command-line. That's great for those who are used to point-and-click Windows.

I installed Ubuntu as a secondary operating system on my ageing PC (dual boot). Setting it up was easy and it took me only a short time to find my way around the major sections of the operating system. True, I have used Linux a little, so some of the Linux-y concepts were familiar to me.

Surprisingly, Ubuntu is a decent option in a post-XP world. I just have to figure out how to get the Internet connection to run at the same speed as it does on XP. And I will also need to find Linux equivalents to those Windows programs that we use often, such as Corel Video Studio Pro X4.

Or I could grab on tight, stick with XP, and hope my computer dies of natural causes before an anonymous teenager in a dingy basement in Belarus zaps it out of its misery.

Comments

  1. Nice point about converting computer to Linux. I might just end up replacing my creaking monster anyways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jerusalem Marathon 10km - I Did It!

Episode 37: Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Modern Living

Virtually You